... forget the rose colored lenses. my world is colorful enough...

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

communication break down

Well, this has been a lovely test of not having a cell phone or internet at home. WEll, I do, supposedly have internet at home, but my laptop doesn't want to respond to it. Found out there would be a tech coming this evening to have a go at it. Left school early to be there, waited until I thought he was a no-show then he finally did show. No English. None. Would've been fine if he was apple-literate, but no. And I am no PC. Communication failure #2 comes in hardware and software. After a bit of fumbling around, a knock comes and there at the door, another wonderful Korean repair man is there to fix my toilet seat (replacing it with some cushy floral version, which he was able to say the word "flowers" with a smile). Two Koreans, no English. One not-so-responsive computer.
After about an hour of fumbling around, talking to his daughter in broken English on the phone, and sitting and waiting in silence, I figure out how to switch the language on my laptop to Hangul (which I can no longer read to be any help with). The internet is finally working, he goes to reboot the thing and suddenly I have a computer that seems to have ODed on Korean Internet speed. Can't get past the bootup screen: gray-white panel with an icon flashing between an apple, a 'no' sign, and occasionally a folder with a ? in it pops in there. All the while, the whole machine seems to breathing quite hard and I'm sittin there wondering if I should be administering mechanical cpr and the man keeps trying to press ctrl+alt+del and f8 and esc. And god that is not helping.
Well, finally I have him use HIS cellphone to call my Korean co-teacher who tells me to send him home. I can't seem to pantomime this, so he has to call her again just to have her tell him to leave.
Poor guy, can't imagine how stressed he was, seeing how stressed I must've looked.
So here I am in a PC bang again. No phone. No net. Plenty of excitement.

Korea is dynamic. And not nearly as tech-savvy as I'd been told.

3 comments:

  1. Rant aside, this was another lovely lession in not being too attached to the modern world and material possessions and I am still having a fantastic time.
    Try and break me--i'm fortified with red ginseng from my principal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND once I do have a laptop, and time that doesn't cost me on the internet, I will share wonderful stories and wonderful pictures of my wonderful school. Annyong.

    ReplyDelete