... forget the rose colored lenses. my world is colorful enough...

Sunday, February 21, 2010

"korea is dynamic"

We've been at Jeonju almost 5 days now. What have I learned more than anything? The same lesson I realize I was being taught from the beginning of applying for this position: Korea is Dynamic. They love saying it. Also, Every situation is different(ESID for short). Hear, hear. It's all about going with the flow. We're never exactly sure what's going to happen, or even, if we're doing things right. Easiest thing to do? Follow. Enjoy.

Not knowing where or who we're going to be teaching means no point wasting time thinking past this week--except that all of us teachers-to-be have a week of not knowing and getting to know each other. Maybe just a moment. Ice broken. We (most of us, at least) have no phone, no way of knowing who will be in your group, how they will divide you and it changes so frequently that the only thing really sure is that you can talk to the person right next to you. Instant potential travel buddies down the line. Remember the face, look at the name tag if you can, otherwise, just talk. Connect. Go with it.

Classes everyday (even saturday) are hit or miss, but I'm finally getting excited about teaching. Finally getting an idea about what that means, even. They're all about their lesson plans, and even more about being able to adapt when something throws your plans out the window for you. It's not that they're trying to make it hard for you, we're told, just that the system isn't designed to be smooth. Just adaptable. And it all makes sense to everyone here, so if we get fussy about it we just look like idiots overreacting over nothing. So this is EPIK's role. Prepare us to understand Korean culture and how our job will work within it. We're being conditioned to not worry too much, be prepared for whatever, and go with the flow.

Understanding this helps me understand Confucianism so much better here. Submitting to strict roles and social hierarchies ensure that everyone is taking care of what they need to, so that in the end, everything runs smoothly (even though it doesn't seem to). Keep a steady balance, follow when you're supposed to, be proactive when you're supposed to. Most of all, be respectful and content in it. It's not my job to know where I'm going--it's the Provincial Office of Employment. It's my job to be learning and absorbing right now.

The idea of collectivism did not excite me; no sir, individuality the way to be. But really, the collective values of South Korean's Confucian structure resonate quite nicely with my notions of nonviolence and the importance of community. It's not about zapping away your personality or your sense of self--it's about putting that sense of self into a selfless spot (or my way of rationalizing). I know my role enough to know how I can affect others--not just immediately, but in all their connections as well. And because I am aware of that power within myself, it is my responsibility to make sure I don't spread anything negative. It's conflating the individual and the community; recognizing that they can never be separate in cause or effects. At least, this is what I've been chewing on.
Respecting these roles of authority--age, or my employer, etc, will make it run smoother for everyone involved. And if I allow myself to be a part of it, I know the chain of respect goes both ways. I will be looked out for. Selfishly Selfless. right?

More philosophical ranting than I intended. But on the flip side of the world, it's bound to happen. All this idea and experience and story and moment sharing is overloading me. So on to the soju, where we can loosen up and really get deep! It's where I see it the most, actually, even though it's mostly a bunch of us foreigners taking over a place the way we do best. But it's about the communal enjoyment--we've already adapted. They don't split the tab here. And they want everyone involved. Whether it's just us westerners or with help from Koreans who join in our fun, we're figuring it out. We watch, we follow, we do what makes us all feel good. together.

No comments:

Post a Comment